The building was designed by James Renwick, Jr. and finally completed in 1874. It is situated at 1661 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Renwick designed it after the Louvre’s Tuileries addition. At the time of its construction, it was generally known as “the American Louvre”.
- By the 18th century additions to palaces and nation houses had been typically supposed particularly as galleries for viewing art, and designed with that in mind.
- Labels and interactives provide information, views, and opinions.
- Make a day of it at the Museum and enjoy a meal in our restaurant overlooking the San Antonio River.